Director, Business Development – HealthCare, Life Sciences
Location: Bellevue preferred, other locations negotiable
IV is a privately held invention investment company based in Bellevue, Washington. At IV we believe ideas
are valuable, and so are the people who generate them. Our people impact invention through pioneering
research and partnerships, from tackling humanitarian challenges in the developing world, to giving
entrepreneurs the tools to accelerate innovation, to spinning out new companies that create transformative
technologies. That’s the essence of Impact Invention—our belief that we can change the world through the
power of invention—and we’re looking for people who share our passion for world-changing ideas.
The Invention Science Fund (ISF), established in 2003, is an interdisciplinary team that includes
11 of top 50 American inventors. The team is focused on enabling breakthrough technologies to
thrive globally – through invention sessions, licensing, joint ventures and startups – in areas such
as metamaterials, biomedical technologies, energy, communications, the Internet of Things and
more. These inventions have led to an array of spinout companies and products that have
received hundreds of millions of investment dollars for commercialization.
Intellectual Ventures is looking for a senior member to join its team. This individual will be
broadly responsible for incubating and spinning out new businesses built around ISF’s and
Intellectual Venture’s growing life science and healthcare portfolio, as well as a broad range of
other technology areas. Specific areas may include: medical devices (for both consumers and
the clinic), data-driven healthcare systems, and biotech. Reporting to the Head of Invention
Program Management, the individual will work closely with other key internal and external
stakeholders including the founders of IV and external partners.
The individual must have credibility across multiple technologies and with outside investors.
They will have experience developing business plans, raising capital, recruiting and building
leadership teams and spinning out new companies. Responsibilities include the following:
- Drive strategy and tactics regarding startups and future invention areas
- Perform market, regulatory and technology analysis for global businesses
- Develop business plans that incorporate foundational IP, as well as lead development of
new IP to support new ventures
- Manage simulation and/or proof of concept and prototyping efforts
- Establish initial customer relationships and key partnerships for new ventures
- Recruit the initial leadership team for each planned spinout, including CTO and CEO
- Provide continued coaching and guidance to venture leadership teams on the business
plan, fund raising, investor relations and other key business issues
- Provide general leadership and management to cross-functional venture creation teams
Interested? Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Founding CEO, Digital Therapeutics Startup
Locations: Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, or Boston
ABOUT THE STARTUP
ISF Incubator is working on an ambitious end-to-end (“full-stack”) digital therapeutics startup looking to change how care is delivered to patients in one of the most expensive chronic conditions. This is an exciting business in a hot sector. We are looking to build on our core innovation in nutritional biochemistry and behavioral health, and leverage data science and digital tools to design a care delivery platform to continuously treat and monitor patients. Our long-term goal is to expand the usage of the care platform for treatment and management of multiple diseases.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are looking for an extraordinary business executive and a healthcare visionary ready to join at the co-founding stage to lead the company as its CEO, even as the business has already been validated. You will be working with the Chief Medical Officer (CMO), who is one of the world-leading experts in nutritional biochemistry, and be responsible for building the business which centers around delivering seamless care with a modern patient friendly experience from ground up. You will need to build a strong team that consists of exceptional business, technology, product, and operation talents. Your ultimate goal will be to build and grow one of the most impactful venture-backable startups on the planet. In order to achieve that, you will have the assistance of a full multi-functional team and substantial funding from the ISF Incubator as well as access to a vast amount of resources such as a deep investor network.
To be successful in this role, you are a driven leader who will dive in and do whatever it takes to succeed.
• Form a rock-star startup team with the input from the CMO which includes product talents, technology gurus, operation geniuses, and business development experts who are ready to form alliances with the payers and providers on pilots, clinical trials, and reimbursements
• Own, plan, and execute with the team both the short-term and long-term strategy of the startup which includes everything from products to GTM
• Aggressively develop a plan to raise external capital to grow the company as a venture-backable business
• Deep experience and knowledge in running or growing a venture-backable software business, preferably in a senior product or operational role at an established digital health company or a high growth technology company; C-level experience is a plus, but not required
• Preferably with strong understanding of the complex U.S. healthcare system, and experience in navigating the payer and provider landscape to form a profound business strategy, but if not, you must be PASSIONATE about healthcare and driven to build an impactful business in an extremely challenging space
• Optimistic attitude; as building a startup is THE most difficult job in the world, you must bring optimism and excitement to the people you are working with
• Previous experience in entrepreneurship and fundraising highly valued, but not required
• Highly strategic and analytical; understand how to work backwards with the end goal in mind
• Comfortable working with ambiguity, hypothesis driven, and mentally flexible; you must know that building a startup is NOT about proving you are right, but about continuous learning and ultimately finding the right path to achieve a vision
• Confident yet humble; you should have no ego and be evidence-based by prioritizing data and science over seniority or dogma
• Substantial interpersonal skills to work with anyone, and ability to develop a healthy company culture that promotes collaboration, transparency, trust, and empowerment
• Strong management skills to be able to drive the growth of the company
• Detail-oriented and not afraid of rolling up the sleeves and going deep into the weeds
• Scrappy and resourceful, knowing how to leverage both internal and external resources
Interested? Please send your resume to email@example.com.